Random Post 2
My second random post is going to be about a book I am reading called My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. It's a great book btw. It's depressing, but incredibly funny and while there doesn't seem to be a clear climax or plot line, the story makes me appreciate the little things in life just a little more. I think Ottessa Moshfegh is just a great writer. I've read books that were about much more interesting stories but didn't entertain me as much as this book has.
I think right now I could use an entire year of rest and relaxation, and that's why I love the book so much. I can relate to the protagonist on some level. But in a lot of ways I really don't like her. She's selfish, hypocritical, straight up mean, and despite her parents being pretty unloving she was given all the privileges of life from birth. Yet, she is so unhappy she goes into a year of hibernation. Literal hibernation. She attempts, with the help of multiple drugs, to sleep through a whole year. Me and the protagonist have nothing in common, but sleeping for a whole year convinced that your'e going to wake up reborn, refreshed, and completely content sounds great to me.
I think this book is so good because it shows you that is is okay to be 1. be depressed even when everything is going right 2. that being self-aware is incredibly important 3. people are selfish, so it's nice to be a person who cares. There are definitely more insightful themes but I feel that I'll understand them more the further I read on.
Comments
Post a Comment