A World We Dare to Imagine

This is not so much a world problem (rather a problem I see in myself that others may relate to) but I dare to imagine a world where stop comparing ourselves to others. Comparison is the thief of joy, and I truly believe so. Because we live in a world where you are compared to others in most aspects of life all the time, it is hard not to do so yourself. And so it is easy to forget that we are very different from each other, and that comparing yourself to someone else will get you nowhere.  

We will always be our harshest critic, and we will always have the nagging voice in our head saying 'but compared to me they're better'. It is important to understand for your own sanity that we are unique individuals, that there are parts of people we don't know and parts that people don't know about you. Any comparison is unfair. And yes I understand that comparison is an integral part of our society. In a way that it determines where you get into school, what job you get, and what promotion you get. In wider society, it is always you against your peers. I think it's hard to remember that when you 'get compared' in these scenarios and you aren't selected, you aren't the problem. It is that they are a better fit, and half the time it is luck. 

So when I sat that I want to live in a world where we aren't compared to others, I guess I mean I hope that we as individuals stop comparing ourselves to others. It is something that I too need to work on - realizing that it is you vs you and not you vs the people around you. When the world 'compares' you to others have the strength of mind to think not about how you can do better compared to your 'competition' but how you can do better compared to yourself. 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Sophia! Great post, I completely agree. We are our own competition and that sometimes gets lost and forgotten. It is easy to compare ourselves to those around us, specially now a days with social media where we can constantly and so easily see what other people are doing. I definitely agree with you that if individuals would stop comparing themselves to other we would live in a world with less greed and more peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia! Yes! This is such a great post and an important topic. Especially in our day and age, with the influence of social media and the constant comparisons made about us, it can become so overwhelming. I don't think there will ever be a time without social media, but maybe one day, social media will reform to its original purpose: to stay connected with friends and family. I also hope there is a world where we no longer have to compete to be happy, and everyone learns to love themselves just as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia! I really loved your post. I think its one of the topics that people are afraid to talk about because it can seem very personal and sometimes controversial, but nonetheless important. I definitely relate to this idea of not comparing ourselves to others would make the world a better place. I would rid us of the insecurities we face that tend to translate into conflicts among others. I really loved how you ended it, that was so insightful and a great way to change the perspective of comparing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment