Wayfinders Post 1

I wanted to read Wayfinders because I don't normally read books that are, for lack of a better word, serious. I've read A history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson, which talks about the same themes discussed in Wayfinders. I think it is crucial for us to be exposed to world history, not just history about the US. In Bill Bryson's book, he really touches on the development of different cultures, trade, the movement of resources - it just expands your worldview, makes you a more openminded person and I would also argue it helps with problem solving skills (at least for me it does as weird as that sounds).

While I've only begun reading Wayfinders, I like how it emphasizes indigenous cultures as something we can learn from. From what I've read so far, he touches on the communities in the Polynesian Islands and their methods of navigation. Not only is it interesting to read about - both his accounts of their navigations techniques and his accounts of meeting the Polynesian people - but it Davis presents us this ancient culture as an example of how we can live alongside our environment. And these lessons are something I am looking forward to reading more about as I make my way through this book.


Comments