RANDOM Post 1

The last few weeks I have focused a lot on recruiting for a job this summer, so I guess I'll use these three paragraphs to to reflect on what I would tell younger me before going through this process. 


1. Applying is not enough. This is probably the most important thing to know. Connections, and creating a network is honestly as important as Marshall students make it seem (yes, I am not a Marshall student, and yes I have made fun of Marshall students for only talking about their network). But the opportunities that actually follow through are ones where you have not only applied to the job but ones where you connected with employees on LinkedIn asking for a coffee chat leading up to some sort of internal referral. When it comes to making connections, its also okay to be that annoying kid who wont stop emailing (I would say that triple emailing is definitely more than enough though.) 

2. No time is better than now. I spent a lot of time not applying because I wanted to perfect my resume and portfolio. This is true. But once you get to a place on your resume that you feel confident in what you have apply. Even if the deadline is months away, apply as early as you can. Procrastinating is never bad, and when applications come with questions you need to give yourself ample time to write them out. Oh also, there's a chance your application will never be read if you apply last minute let's be honest. They receive thousands of applications, so submitting early can only increase your chances of being given a chance. 

3. Not that I needed help with this early on in the process but leaning on your friends is crucial. The previous two points and things I've learned from my friends. Asking people whenever you can what works for them gives you more insight as to how to you can succeed too. Your friends also know you, so they might be able to help you out when a company asks you to write 500 words on your weaknesses. Leaning on your peers, teachers and other people within the industry (really anyone who you think could give you valuable advice during the process) is important. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sophia!
    As a freshman who hasn't given much thought to the recruitment process, this is really valuable advice, so thank you! I understand the importance of making connections and networking, but I feel like I will spend a lot of time pushing back my application timeline because I want to perfect my resume and portfolio. That second tip will be something important for me to keep in mind. Of course, my progress so far wouldn't have been possible without my parents and teachers, so I will definitely continue asking them for help and advice.
    Thank you for this blog post--it will definitely come in handy in my near future!
    - Lieza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia. I will forward this to my younger brother that is going to college next year. I wish I could read your advice when I was a freshman and didn't have to find out the hard way. I hope your recruiting goes well, I'm sure you'll get that position you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia, I liked your post because it tied your real-life experiences to some lessons we can all use. The "No time is better than now." rule resonated with me because I feel like I try to make decisions that way to avoid missing out on opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sophia. I really enjoyed your post and I also thought of networking being super important coming into USC because my parents always emphasized the importance of making friends that will help you post grad. Frankly, I think it would be extremely helpful for incoming freshman to read blogs such as these so that they can get a better sense of what to do and not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly Sophia, the biggest lesson I had to unlearn was this obsession with individuality. It really disconnects you from such humanizing experiences, and honestly also sets societal unrealistic expectations which you may feel to always lean on. Not having something for emotionally help also makes you yourself so mentally fatigued you cannot be successful in all the things you want to dabble in and try. I am working my way to it but so far the journey, the vulnerability and the mental freedom is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment