WHO YOU ARE MATTERS

I was born and raised in the Philippines and moved to the US for college. I've attended a small international school all my life, so I am happy to have moved to a larger school across the world. After college, I am going to work in the US at a large advertising or brand agency working with high-profile clients. I plan on getting there by scoring an internship this summer, working really hard at it, and (hopefully) receiving a return offer for a full-time position. 

My mom was also born in the Philippines but is of Spanish descent, and my dad is from the US but is half Filipino and half Russian. I am like my dad in that I look more like him, being as extroverted as him, have a similar work ethic, and am more creative. I am similar to my mom in my temperament. Additionally, I am like them in that family is one of the top priorities in my life. I don't really look like my mom - except for having the same hair and eyes as her. My mom is more organized and uses logic more than emotions to make decisions in those ways we are different. I am unlike my dad in that I have more patience than him. 

I am lucky to have parents who are supportive of everything I do. Their only expectation is to work hard. I have developed expectations for myself, but these mostly come from wanting to work as hard as my parents and afford the life they built for my brothers and me. 

Emma Grede - she is the CEO of Good American, Founding Partner of Skims, and on the board of 15% Pledge. A very successful businesswoman, who creates and advocates for businesses that are value-forward. Not that I know her personally but she also seems like a positive, genuine person. 

I don't feel a special connection with any wild animal in particular, but if I could be a wild animal I would be a Stingray. I find them elegant, calm (only harm you if you agitate them), and friendly.  

When I was young I vaguely remember climbing a tree in my childhood home and pretending there were fairies living in it. I also remember putting 'secret' notes in parts of the tree. 

Sun Sign - Cancer

Moon Sign - Aquarius

Rising - Cancer

Comments

  1. Hi Sophia, I find it super cool how you want to work at a brand agency. Also Emma Grede is honestly such an amazing businesswomen and she's so inspiring. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia,
    That's great that you have parents who are supportive of everything you do. My parents are the same way and it makes life a lot easier. I plan to be the same way when I am a parent some day. I think it's great that they expect you to work hard and that you do the same; it's something that is in your control and is a very essential characteristic to achieve success. Stingrays are pretty cool animals. My animal is also an animal from the ocean–a dolphin. I enjoyed reading your blog post!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia,
    It is really cool that you were born in the Philippines and moved to the US for college! I have always wanted to move away for college, but could never get myself to leave California. It is really great to hear that you have parents who are super supportive. My parents are the same exact way, and it seems to have taken a lot of stress and pressure off of me. Much like yours, my parents only expectation is to work hard and I am very grateful for that because it has been very beneficial. I am looking forward to getting to know you more in class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophia,
    It's cool that you want to work with high-profile clients at a brand agency. Good luck with the internship this summer. Emma Grede seems like a good role model for your path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sophia! When you were describing your similarities and differences to your parents, it felt like I was reading about myself and my own parents! I also look a *lot* like my dad and have inherited his ambition and creativity, but on the flip side I also have more patience than him, just like you and your dad. My mom is similar to yours, and she also seems to think and act using her brain and logic, rather than her emotions. Cute story about climbing the tree and putting notes for fairies! Sounds like something I'd also do when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sophia! I think its amazing how you assimilated to the US for college. I also get my extroversion from my father and also don't look like my mom other than our hair color and eye color. I love your role model, I think she is a great person and business to look at and I appreciate their missions and values. I feel like it was a similar childhood experience for girls to imagine fairies in trees because I also did this along with many of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sophia! I know a lot of international students who are in a similar boat as you are. It's extremely exciting to come to the U.S. but it definitely can be a tough transition for sure especially if you are feeling home sick. I definitely share some similarities with you about working hard since our parents have worked hard for us to achieve our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We both have really similar experiences in how we grew up going to international schools in other countries, but I never knew how much more diverse your family was! I really like how you clearly said your parents support you and working hard is the only expectation, I definitely see it in how you are and how you hold yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment