JOB DESCRIPTION

Graphic Designers

Most people are confused by the term graphic designer. A lot of the time I get asked whether I only design posters or draw. While we do all these things, being a graphic designer means you do many different things. We create different types of design for a range of industries, it gets difficult to describe exactly what the job of a graphic designer is. 

A Graphic Designer is a creative person who assembles type, images, and graphics to carry out a specific function. It is their job to communicate a specific message and solve problems with visual answers through research and testing. This can look like a poster, a social media campaign, a logo, a website, a book cover, or anything visual. A graphic designer has to be creative, skilled at a variety of design software, have good communication skills, time management skills, attention to detail, and resilience. The best way to comprehend the role of a designer is to describe its duties in the context of these three jobs:  

Artist

The work of an artist involves the following tasks: 

  • Studying their specific medium 
  • Creative brainstorming and sketching drafts for artwork
  • Producing work that conveys a message from a unique perspective 

Ultimately artists use an artistic medium to convey a message. They achieve this by thinking outside of the box, practicing, and refining. Here’s an example of how an artist’s job can be seen in the work of a graphic designer. First and foremost, a good designer is someone who practices their software regularly. I always try new ways to use the tools to generate specific effects, images, and graphics. When given a project, I then spend hours brain-dumping ideas to find a unique way to communicate a specific message. Once I understand the message I want to convey, I go to the drawing board. At this stage, I sketch out as many iterations of that idea as possible, in as many different, unexpected ways as possible. I take the most creative idea and use my mediums - Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop - to turn it into something I can show the public. 

Storyteller

A good designer needs to be a good communicator, and that is even more important as a storyteller. We accomplish this by doing these tasks: 

  • Understanding the story fundamentals (effective character, trajectory, hook, authenticity/details, and calls-to-action) 
  • Encouraging certain emotions or reactions in listeners 
  • Leaving the audience with something that can resonate with them once the story is over

Let’s say I want to create a poster for a new organic energy drink catered to gen-z. The story fundamentals would be the key RTBs of the product and the character of the brand. I need to ensure that the visual messaging and the copy on the poster demonstrate both. These two aspects of the design not only need to convey a story but make the audience feel a certain way. In this case, it would be the desire to purchase the brand or some sense of brand affinity. Last, a designer who knows their audience will know how to cater their design to their audience, so they feel like their needs are fulfilled by whatever the product is. I would achieve this by suggesting the energy drink solves a certain problem for the audience like making studying easier during finals. 

Scientist 

The last role of a designer is similar to that of a scientist. Many people consider design to be a merging of art and science, both perform the following tasks: 

  • Recording and analyzing data 
  • Planning and conducting experiments 
  • Presenting results to senior/ other staff 

Behind every successful design is a large amount of research. Looking back at the organic energy drink analogy, I would need to deeply understand the product and the target market to create an appropriate poster. To assess the success of this poster I would find a focus group and record their reaction to the design, ask them questions like what does this make you feel or who do you think this product is for? Once I’ve created the poster, I would have to present it to the senior designer and/or the creative director. They would ultimately decide whether the poster was a successful design, ask me about my process, and give me pointers on how to improve for next time.

Comments

  1. Hi Sophia,
    I honestly didn't know a whole lot about what exactly a graphic designer does until now. I think the three jobs that you chose to describe the role of a graphic designer make a lot of sense. I think it's very interesting that the role of a graphic designer is similar to that of a scientist. It makes sense that a graphic designer must do a lot of research in order to deeply understand the product and the target market, similar to how a scientist does a large amount of research as well. I feel a lot more educated on the roles of a graphic designer now, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia!
    Being a graphic designer sounds like a very cool job! I honestly did not know that this job entailed being a storyteller and scientist but after reading, it completely makes sense. The role of being an artist sounds really fun to me. It is really interesting to hear that you always like to try new ways to use the tools to generate specific effects, images, and graphics. This job sounds very fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia, I loved learning about what a graphic designer is from your post. I think I had not ever though about what a graphic designer what might do but I don't think I would have ever imagined it entailed everything you talked about here. Specially the scientist part or that I think might be the most interesting and cool to me. I love recording and analyzing data. Being a graphic designer sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophia,
    I have so much respect for you as a graphic designer because after reading this it gave me better understanding of how much patience you need to have. As someone who isn't great in the creative field, I usually use pinterest to organize my creative boards. Which is seems somewhat similar to what you do, but for hours and at a much larger scale. The scientist part was very cool to put into perspective, because I never imagined that someone as graphic designer had to collect and analyze data.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post Sophia! Being a graphic designer is a super cool job—its something I've always wanted to look further into and learn more about. I think the three jobs you outlined articulate the tasks of a graphic designer perfectly. So much more goes into your work then actually making the graphics. As you said, prepping, strategizing, and understanding your audience is very important as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophia! Graphic design used to be a profession I was really interested in pursuing, though now I enjoy doing it as a hobby. I loved how you discussed the importance of storytelling in graphic design. I feel like that's sometimes overlooked when people think of what exactly graphic designers do, but it's arguably the most important part -- being able to convey the right message through your work. Being able to analyze data and run A/B tests or experiments is also especially important when it comes to deciding which design is most effective. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sophia, your comparison of graphic designers to storytellers and scientists was interesting. I think most people are familiar with the artistic parts of graphic design but it was valuable to see your explanation on catering to specific audiences and analyzing data.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment